Welcome to Mount Barker Kindergarten
At Mt Barker Kindergarten educators work in partnerships with families and the community to ensure all children are provided with the best opportunities to develop and learn. We provide a safe, supportive and inclusive environment using a curriculum that encourages a spirit of inquiry and lifelong learning through play.
Our philosophy is based on our vision and our motto - “Play Learn Grow.”
- Play is provided by a play-based curriculum, focused on positive social interactions & wellbeing. Play allows children to make independent choices and allows for individual development.
- Learn by being responsive to children’s learning ideas through curriculum & teaching, considering individual children's learning styles in tandem with developmental appropriateness.
- Grow via challenging & engaging children into deeper thinking & understanding of their world.
The essential ingredients to play, learn and grow is through our involvement of providing a high quality, safe, inclusive play based supportive preschool curriculum in partnership with our communities.
Communities include parents,caregivers, children, local town communities and our ‘feeder’ schools, Child Care Centre’s, playgroups and the spectrum of Child Youth and Health services servicing the Mount Barker area.
Our philosophy defines our values of trust & respect; nurturing & caring; responsibility & empowerment, which is the foundation of quality early childhood education.
Trust & Respect:
Gives young children the confidence to explore and take considered risks
Nurturing & Caring:
Children learn about care and consideration for others. They begin to see alternate points of view & act in respectful ways
Responsibility & Empowerment:
Children strengthen their ability in initiating & accepting some responsibility for themselves, their actions & their environments
We strive to continually improve our everyday practices to provide quality care and education by:
Actively practicing our agreed team values of:
- Open communication, being supportive, having a shared commitment to working towards common goal(s) with an overarching positive attitude to work & life.
- Providing timely Professional Learning
- Implementing approved learning frameworks – such as the Early Years Learning Framework. For more information please refer to our ‘Information and Policy Booklet', under ‘Information for Parents’
- Utilising site and Department for Education and Child Development (DECD) staff expertise
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF COUNTRY
We acknowledge that the land Mount Barker Kindergarten is built upon is the traditional ancestral land of the Peramangk People. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of the Peramangk people to this land and their ongoing custodianship. We also pay respects to the cultural authority of Aboriginal people visiting from other areas of South Australia or Australia present here.